Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Vale Jack Orszaczky

Jack Orszaczky was a significant figure in my musical and personal history. A wonderful bass-player, inspired composer and arranger and and astonishing singer who led the funkiest bands ever to emerge in Sydney, Jack invited me into his fold in the mid-’80s when I sang and played with Jump Back Jack and our weird duo, the Stanmore Groovers. We had an a cappella group called Four Eyes that lasted one gig, but I vividly rember Jack's arrangement and solo on our version of Drown In My Own Tears. Later, I tried to return the favour by inviting Jack and partner the sensational Tina Harrod to perform with the Café of the Gate of Salvation on several occasions – occasions when their combined energy overwhelmed and elevated the choir. I don’t have to tell you how remarkable Jack was. He passed on Sunday February 3, and will be sorely missed.

http://www.orszaczky.com/index.html

No comments: